RE: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] Re: exports and constants

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Aldor-l] [Axiom-developer] Re: exports and constants
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:23:10 -0400

On July 24, 2006 9:10 PM Gaby wrote:

> Bill Page writes:
> [...]
> | But perhaps "has" is not so weak. What other applications of
> | reflection are there other then conditional ones?
>
> Support for generic programming.
>
>   http://haskell.org/th/
>   http://www.iai.uni-bonn.de/~loeh/ExploringGH.pdf

It is clear isn't it, that one of the primary motivations for Aldor
(at least in the context of Axiom) is to provide exactly this sort
of "generic programming"? It seems to me that this is done using
only "has" and polymorphic types.

In Andres Loh's thesis it says:

"The possibility to define functions by analysis of the structure
of datatypes is what we call generic programming in the context of
this thesis."

How would more general forms of reflection within Aldor help to
achieve this?