Re: [Axiom-developer] Polynomials, abstract objects, provisos

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Polynomials, abstract objects, provisos
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:34:05 +0200

One could then create an IndefinitePolynomial over the
IndefiniteIntegers which exports operations that remain
in IndefinitePolynomial.

I believe nobody wants that approach. I have just tried to build an example of IndefiniteIntegers. Suppose you have found a good data representation for it, then what type would you expect the zero? function has? The only think I can think of is

zero?: % -> IndefiniteBoolean;

So you end up in building always a domain and its indefinite counterpart. That is surely unmanageable.

Unfortunately this method has two problems.

First, it implies either copies of domains such as
IndefiniteInteger or it implies that you figure out
how to build an "Indefinite" domain that lives in the
type tower such as:

   Polynomial (Indefinite (Integer))
   Indefinite (Polynomial (Integer))
   Indefinite (Polynomial (Indefinite (Integer)))

I like your second approach better, but after I thought a bit about it, I believe that you cannot do this without reflection.

What would be the type of the function "Indefinite"? Clearly it should accept any domain. So it would be (T: Type) -> ResultType.

The result type should, however be identical to the (dynamical) type of T. Since Indefinite(Integer) should allow any integer operation and Indefinite(Boolean) should allow any operations that is defined in Boolean. So we would have ...

Indefinite(T: Type): TypeOf(T) == add {...}               -- (*)

So we are out of business here.

Another approach I could think of is that one works with objects (values that know its type). One can simulate that in Aldor, too. (Look at chapter 21.10 "Objects" in the pdf version of the AUG.)

But again, how would you write "obj1 + obj2"? You must lookup what + could actually mean. At compile time you have no chance. So the whole business is something for an interpreter. And then (for the interpreter) I believe something like (*) should be possible.

My thinking at the moment leads me to carry the information
in the proviso as in

   x provided (..... (x is Integer) ....)
   x provided (..... (x is Polynomial(Integer)) ....)

I somehow think that (*) and your proviso approach are very similar. The x basically is like a typed variable (that has no value).

So what should be built is a "typed expression tree" where the leaves are typed variables that have no values and the inner nodes are functions that wait for their arguments to become actual values. Whenever a all arguments of a inner node (=function) are actual values, then the subtree collapses to an actual value.

I have not yet an idea how to treat a multivalued result.

Any other ideas?

Ralf