Re: [Axiom-developer] GCL in batch mode

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] GCL in batch mode
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:22:13 +0100 (CET)

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
>

> | > Camm --
> | >
> | >   I'm wondering what the behaviour of "gcl -batch" is.  The info page
> | > says:
> | >
> | >    `-batch'
> | >         Do not enter the command print loop.  Useful if the other command
> | >         line arguments do something.  Do not print the License and
> | >         acknowledgement information.  Note if your program does print any
> | >         License information, it must print the GCL header information
> | >         also.
> | >

> | AFAICS "not enter the command print loop" really means "do not enter
> | read-eval-print loop", so in particular nothing is read from standard
> | input.  For me the following works:
> |
> | gcl -batch -eval '(format t "~a~&" si::*system-directory*)'
>
> Interesting.  I tried that combination too; it did not work -- which
> perplexed me.

Maybe I snipped too much. You wrote:

echo '(format nil "~a" si::*system-directory*)' | gcl -batch
              ^^^

Just usning '-eval' gives:

gcl -batch -eval '(format nil "~a" si::*system-directory*)'

which prints nothing. IIUC without '-batch' you print return _value_ of
format function, but '-batch' supresess printing of return value, so
you get nothing.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden