Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-commit] SF.net SVN: axiom: [426] branch

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-commit] SF.net SVN: axiom: [426] branches/wh-sandbox
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:34:53 +0100 (CET)

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 address@hidden wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> | Modified: branches/wh-sandbox/src/etc/asq.c.pamphlet
> | ===================================================================
> | --- branches/wh-sandbox/src/etc/asq.c.pamphlet      2007-01-27 16:50:57 UTC
> (rev 425)
> | +++ branches/wh-sandbox/src/etc/asq.c.pamphlet      2007-02-01 05:09:31 UTC
> (rev 426)
> | @@ -2,1559 +2,929 @@
> |  \usepackage{axiom}
> |  \begin{document}
> |  \title{\$SPAD/etc asq.c}
> | -\author{Timothy Daly}
> | +\author{Waldek Hebisch}
>
> I believe the conventional wisdom would suggest that you add your name
> as co-author as opposed to replacing the existing author, even if you
> have rewritten it. If this were a separate new program not building on
> previous ideas, I would that it is OK.

Hmm, I undersand that conventional wisdom is to err on side of giving
more credit for work than too little credit, but I find this suggestion
a little extreme.

Gaby, did you look at both programs: the new asq is a _new_ program.
Re-used from the old program is starting Latex boilerplate, Latex
footer and AXIOM variable (assignment and a test).  On the level of
ideas of course I re-used the very idea of having such a program
and tried to make it compatible (in particular I re-used most of
the option names).  Also the general approach (using linear search)
is common.  But that is basically all.

About 70% of the new program is a start of generic S-expression handling
library which has no couterpart in the old program.  The rest is also
very different (in particular much simpler) due to use of S-expressions
and table driven option handling.

I think it is proper to have acknowledgement line like:

  This program replaces an older one written by Tim Daly.

(the exact wording may be different).

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden