RE: [Axiom-developer] axiom in windows xp for an user who isn't root.

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] axiom in windows xp for an user who isn't root.
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 17:35:53 -0500

On February 6, 2007 3:50 PM Francois Maltey wrote:

> I have installed axiom and msys as root in windows xp for
> some students. It's all right !

msys is not necessary to use Axiom on windows - only if you
need to build Axiom from source.

> But I don't want theses students are root in windows xp.
> So I create an other login.

How did you install Axiom in Windows? From the binary install
program or from source?

> I change rights of the axiom directory and the msys directory.
> Now they are read/write/and others for all users.
>
> When I run axiom in this login I get a boot error.
> Axiom is looking for a file in a very long path in msys
> inside 8 or 10 sub-sub-directory. This file isn't in the msys
> directory.

It sounds like the AXIOM environment variable is not set.

> This computer is at work and my mail at home... So I can't be
> more precise.
>
> May you help me ?

To check the AXIOM variable go to:

 Start/ControlPanel/System/Advanced/EnvironmentVariables

and check that the 'System variables' table includes

  Variable Name: AXIOM
  Variable Value: c:/Program Files/axiom/mnt/windows

It is possible that Axiom was originally installed for a single
user only, in which case the AXIOM variable may only be defined
for that specific user in the 'Users varaibles for ...'.