Re: [Axiom-developer] new AXIOM release(s)

From: Alfredo Portes
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] new AXIOM release(s)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:40:44 -0500

Hi Gaby,

I propose the numbering X.Y.Z, with

  * X == major release number
  * Y == minor release number
  * Z == patch level release number

I propose that the next version be 3.5.0, with subsequent bug fix
releases, be 3.5.x.
When we merge build-improvements to trunk, I would suggest we bump it
to 4.0.0.

I also propose that on a regular bases (e.e.g 3 months), we make
either a patch release or a minor release; we make a major release
every year.  The latter assumes we have enough momentum.

With a 3 months cycles, I think a schema like the ones used by Gentoo or Ubuntu
makes sense: 2007.3, 2007.6.....or 7.03, 7.06....where is clearly
visible when it was
released.

I say this because maybe there is no that many changes for the X.Y.Z
schema, even when I am aware that this is usually the standard.

Just my 0.005 cents.

Alfredo