Re: [Axiom-developer] typo in the guessing package pamphlet, was: Re: Al

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] typo in the guessing package pamphlet, was: Re: Algebra and literate documentation
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 01:47:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2007, Martin Rubey wrote:

| Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:
|
| > On Tue, 8 Aug 2007, Martin Rubey wrote:
| >
| > | Do you recall what went wrong at ISSAC?
| >
| > Many things :-)
| >
| > More specifically:
| >
| >  * short hand for unnamed functions do not work properly, so one has
| >    to use the syntax x +-> f(x)
|
| Could you tell me in what places that happens, and what "do not work properly"
| means exactly?  I depend on unnamed functions quite a bit, since at a few
| points I actually construct such functions by code.  I do recall vividly that
| these functions were extremely hard to compile.

OK, all of this happened on Tim's machine.  I believe he has a trace/log
of many of the things.  Basically, there was an expression like a function
taking many arguments, say, foo(a, b, c).  then you wrote

     foo(a, #1, c)

to indicate an unnamed function of one argument.  That syntax was giving the
compiler a headache inferring the correct type of #1 (a bug!).  I suggested to
rewrite it as

     x +-> foo(a, x, c)

and the compiler was happy.

| >  * the most recalcitrant was a package call to generalInterpolation()
| >    from some.
|
| I guess you mean the following snippet from mantepse.spad.pamphlet.  By the
| way, where did you get the sources of the package from?  wh-sandbox?

I did not "get" the source.  I was helping Tim to solve the problem of
integrating your package into Silver.  Tim, do you still have the logs?

Thanks for your answers!  I'll return back to you.

-- Gaby