Re: [Axiom-developer] bootstrap Meta/Boot

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] bootstrap Meta/Boot
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:01:12 +0200

Fortunately in the brave new world we seem to inhabit, there is no
sticking place for your objection.  You can create your own branch and
thus reconstruct Meta in Meta and Boot in Boot.

And whoever wants to rewrite everything is LISP should create a new branch and write Axiom in Common LISP so that on the list

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomProgramming

*only* LISP remains No BOOT, no SHOE, no SPAD.

I wonder, how many people would use such a system. And how many people would be able to maintain it.

Tim, if you are so much concered with bootstrapping, what is wrong in having a very small lisp machinary to get to some state where one could climb the abstraction ladder and define the rest in some (hopefully) more human readable language?

BTW, why do you think it is so essential that the underlying language of Axiom must be LISP? If I now start a branch and convert Axiom to Haskell, or Assembler would you object? Would you be interested?

Ralf