Re: [Axiom-developer] ChangeLog on Silver

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] ChangeLog on Silver
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:45:20 -0700

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I have some changes to Silver down in pipeline (some of them were
> brought here and discussed on the list).  However, before doing that,
> I would like to establish as a policy that we use -- from now on --
> the `standard' ChangeLog format to record history of changes.  This
> means we enter entries like this:
>
>    2007-06-30  Gabriel Dos Reis  <address@hidden>
>
>            * vmlisp.lisp.pamphlet (MACRO-MISSINGARGS): Fix thinko.
>

> If you're using Emacs for editing, Emacs can help you if you're in the
> file you're editing (or the body of the function you're changing) and
> hit the sequence
>
>       C-x 4 a.
>

> Unlike GCC, GDB, Axiom.build-improvements, and some other projects, I
> suggest we use only one ChangeLog file, to keep the spirit of the
> current practice.
>
> I'll be implementing that on Silver shortly.

Excellent timing, actually ... I've been meaning to pulse Gentoo Linux
(again) about getting Axiom Silver into Portage. They are still
distributing Axiom by building it on your machine from the September
2005 tarball, not even from the "Gold" repository! I've had excellent
luck on my Gentoo systems, both x86 and amd64, with both Silver and
Gold. If it got into Portage, that would immediately get it tested on
PPC and Sparc boxes too, and maybe some of the less known architectures.

What's the most recent Axiom that will build and execute on Windows, by
the way? Although a lot of folks deprecate Cygwin ("deprecate" is a mild
word -- usually I hear a term that *rhymes* with "deprecate" :)) I think
a Cygwin Axiom would be better than a native port, since Hyperdoc would
be there, as would (IIRC) the TeXmacs interface.