Re: [Axiom-developer] A curious algebra failure

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] A curious algebra failure
Date: 11 Aug 2007 21:21:11 -0400

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:
> | Here, % certainly satisfies the conditions on the parameter type:
> |
> |    SetCategory with "*": (%,%)->%
>
> I don't think it does, in the sense of Spad.
> I believe two unnamed categories define distinct categories irrespective of
> their bodies.

Are you saying that % is unnamed?  I can see that -- it's `principle'
category is unnamed, so to speak.

However, I have seen is kind of code in both Spad and Aldor a fair
bit.  I have always thought of `anonymous' category expressions
matching structurally as well as nominally.  I have always viewed the
lhs of a `with' as being the nominal part, the rhs the structural
part.  Of course that is just my interpretation -- I do not recall
reading a rule that either confirms nor refutes it.  I do not yet see
a difficulty with that point of view.

Steve