Re: [Axiom-developer] help function

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] help function
Date: 05 Sep 2007 14:30:45 +0200

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden writes:
>
> | Themos,
> |
> | The help function is based on newly created files that are only
> | available in the very latest release.
>
> I believe you missed his point entirely.
>
> You made a statement of why ')help' is prefered over 'help'.
> Thomas just showed a case demaonstrating that that reason is at best
> a fallacy (my term).

I also believe that ")help" is much(!) better than "help".  I believe that it
does make sense to separate functionality like )help, )display, )show, )lib,
etc. from algebra functionality.

If you agree to that the closing parenthesis is in my opinion a very good
sistinction symbol.  Aldor uses "#" which is very confusing for humans and for
the compiler.

If you do not agree to the first statement, we just disagree, which is OK.

Just that you don't get me wrong: I have nothing against providing
algebra-level access to ")help" - in fact, it does exist. (MoreSystemCommands
does it.)  But I do believe that a separate "system command syntax" is a very
good idea.  At least, it appears to me so in everyday usage - and I use axiom
more as a mathematician, and rather seldom as a programmer.

Martin