[Axiom-developer] new hyperdoc

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] new hyperdoc
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 23:15:33 -0500

Arthur, Alfredo, Alasdair,

I've checked in a new silver as of 20071020.01.acr.patch which contains
the new communication protocol between the new hyperdoc and axiom.

In this release are the last two sections of Alasdair's crytpography
notes in xhtml format. These pages are not live yet but will be shortly.

I've also checked in a newhyper.pamphlet that uses this new communication
protocol. There are two new pages, demonstrating 3 ideas.

(Arthur, I should note that axserver can construct an improper reply
 not occur (and does not always happen). I have programmed around it)

Topics -> Numbers -> Integers demonstrates the use of the new protocol
by only showing the mathml values rather than the whole command and
type fields.

See the chunk <<handlefreevars>> to see how this works.

Topics -> Numbers -> Integers demonstrates the use of the free
variable mechanism. That is, if you click on 'x+y' without defining
the values of 'x' or 'y' for the page then the expressions for 'x' and 'y'
are automatically and quietly executed in the background before the
'x+y' expression. Hyperdoc does this with the 'free(x)' kind of syntax.

In the new hyperdoc you provide ids for each of the input value and
then call 'handleFree' with a list of the prior required values and
the current element. All of the required values are evaluated before
the current element (last item in the list provided to handleFree).

See the page "numintegers.xhtml" to see the use of handleFree.
See the chunk <<handlefreevars>> to see how this works.

Topics -> Numbers -> Fractions demonstrates the use of "resetvars".
That is, if you visit this page it assumes that 'x' and 'y' have no
value so that the fractional results are supposed to be symbolic.
Yet if you've visited a previous page (such as the Integers) page you
might have set 'x' to a value in the underlying Axiom image, which would
generate numeric rather than symbolic results. This page automatically
resets the axiom environment so it does not see interference from other
pages.

See the page numfractions.xhtml to see the use of resetvars();
See the chunk <<axiom talker>> to see how this works.

With these pieces in place I can proceed to convert a large number of the
existing hyperdoc pages in the upcoming weeks.