[Axiom-developer] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: [open-axiom-devel] [fricas-deve

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: [open-axiom-devel] [fricas-devel] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: iterators and cartesian product.
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:13:43 -0400

On 10/31/07, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Bill Page wrote:
> | > |

> | > They are the same categorial notion.
> |
> | That is not clear to me.
> |
> | > What you have in Haskell is a computer scientist application of the
> | > categorial notion of `monad'.
> |
> | Agreed.
>
> I cannot reconcile both your statements.

I mean: What does Monad as defined in the Axiom library right now:

++  Monad is the class of all multiplicative monads, i.e. sets
++  with a binary operation.

have to do with Monads in Haskell? Isn't that what you implied by your comment?

"There already existe a domain called Monad in the Axiom family -- it
is a well mathematically defined notion."

Or did you just mean that if one implemented Haskell-style monads in
Axiom, one should use a different name?

> http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/haskell-retrospective/HaskellRetrospective.pdf
>
> skip to page 40.

Oh yah, I remember that. I suppose we could use that name for monad in Axiom:

)abbrev domain WarmFuzzyThing WFT
;-)