[Axiom-developer] Re: Close Issues -> Close Fricas Issues

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Close Issues -> Close Fricas Issues
Date: 13 Dec 2007 08:08:05 +0100

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

> > I see two possibilities:
> >
> > 1) Since MathAction runs FriCAS, and FriCAS applies patches
> >     from open-axiom and axiom relatively quickly, we close those
> >     issues that are fixed in FriCAS.
> >

> No, I do not think that is a good idea. I would like the new
> axiom-wiki to continue to serve the needs of all of the Axiom-related
> projects.

OK

> > 2) By magic, or Bill Page, we introduce the possibility of closing
> >     issues for any subset of {axiom, open-axiom, fricas}.  I have
> >     no idea how that could work, however.  In particular, if one
> >     selects "open issues", what subset of issues does he get then?
> >

> No, I think that is too complicated. What I would like to do is to have bug
> reports that are specific to each version/fork. Right now this is not the
> case. But what I think we should do as issues are reviews and/or closed in a
> particular system, and if the issue is still outstanding in one or more of
> the other systems, I think we should clone the bug reports (make copies for
> each system) and then close the ones where the bug is fixed. I know that this
> might seem like extra work, but copying these reports is really pretty easy
> just using cut-and-paste in edit mode.

I disagree.  Most bug reports will relate to the algebra, and thus affect all
versions of axiom.  Cloning all these reports means duplicate effort.

I guess the simplest solution is to replace the "status" categories as follows:

open   ... open in all versions
closed ... closed in all versions

closed in FriCAS
closed in OpenAxiom
closed in Axiom

open in FriCAS  --- closed in Axiom and OpenAxiom
open in OpenAxiom
open in Axiom

many of the others are not needed or could be merged:

assigned, revised, postponed -> not needed

pending, planned, testing -> merge with fix proposed

not reproducible, need more info -> merge

I think that would be much better organized.

Martin