Re: [Axiom-developer] Lisp

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Lisp
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 17:34:00 -0500

Bill:

As I read your quoted passage and comments, it occurs to me (disclaimer: I am not a language expert, so take my comments with a large grain of salt) that the even more important statement to be emphasized is: "We can layer these languages on top of each other and create a language for writing web-based trading applications" where instead of "trading" we can replace it with Axiom or mathematical. After all I find that each category and domain in Axiom is a DSL (domain specific language) that the founders "layer these languages on top of each other to create a language" for new DSLs. That is what contributed to Axiom's problem solving power in mathematics. The underlyling lisp is just the foundation that allows the bootstrap and maybe streamlining some foundational operations. Lisp is of course important, but I imagine if there were a Tim-twin who favors another foundational language other than lisp, Axiom could be built on that as well. (In some way, FOAM can be considered as one such foundational language for Aldor.)

But as a simple user of Axiom, the most important thing for me is that "it works."

William

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:41:07 -0500