[Axiom-developer] Re: [Aldor-l] Distributing Aldor

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Aldor-l] Distributing Aldor
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 01:22:24 -0400

>> I wish you would consider simply adopting the Modified BSD license. It
>> would make it much easier to integrate your work (albeit not Aldor
>> itself) directly with Axiom. Adding yet-other-licenses to the pile is
>> only going to make Aldor yet-more-difficult to use.
>
>I chose to licence them as ISC, which is similar to the modified BSD
>licence. Is this in line with what you were saying?

Axiom is licensed under Modified BSD. I've never heard of ISC.

I did learn a few things from the lawyer, such as, most people are
not capable of actually reading and understanding a license. This
is not an issue of being smart. It is an issue of being trained.

The words don't mean what you think they mean. The words MAY have well
defined meanings based on court cases. Unless you are familiar with
the court cases you don't understand what you are reading. Court
cases vary by city, state, federal, and country. I learned
a lot more about IP issues from him than I ever wanted to know.
Licensing is a game and I don't know the rules.

It is a lot like handing Aldor source code to your lawyer.
Without training there is no way he's going to understand all of
the implications of what he's reading.

So I don't know what the implications would be of trying to mix
Modified BSD and ISC. And I'm not sure how ISC fits Axiom's goals.

Axiom is released under the specific goals of
  "teaching, scholarship, and research"
and is intended for
  "not-for-profit, personal, educational use" (see faq 45)

You are, of course, free to choose any license you want.
But a non-MBSD license just makes it harder for Axiom to
use your work. NAG already caused grief, why add more?