Re: [Axiom-developer] User Interface Help

From: Ted Kosan
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] User Interface Help
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 18:28:56 -0500

Tim wrote:

> I have the graphs for the abbreviation connections and the full name
> connections for the category structure in Axiom.
>
> The problem is that there are so many links that it appears to be a
> ball of string.
>
> In order for this information to be useful I believe that there has to
> be a more dynamic way to show this information.
>
> One idea might be a "mapquest roadmap" kind of graph that shows how to
> get from one place to another.
>
> Another kind of graph suggestion is "flare graphs":
> <http://flare.prefuse.org/apps/dependency_graph>
>
> There are a few interesting questions that could also be answered
> graphically, like "where does this method get implemented?" etc.
>
> Suggestions of graphing methods (especially with web examples)
> and suggestions of what kind of queries might be interesting
> are welcome.

Here is an example of a web-based dynamic graph that you may find
interesting.  The data is in German, but the graph can contain text in
any language (Just drag on the image and click on the edges to make it
move):

http://www.mfirst.de/wi/

The software is called HyperGraph and it is open source:

http://hypergraph.sourceforge.net

I am thinking of using HyperGraph in MathRider as part of its
documentation engine.

Ted