[Axiom-developer] build process: INSTALL replaced by DESTDIR - documenta

From: Hans-Georg Pabst
Subject: [Axiom-developer] build process: INSTALL replaced by DESTDIR - documentation update?
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 14:04:42 +0200

Dear all,

I'm new to Axiom. I have tried to build and install Axiom March 2009 on SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9. Build went well (some of the regression tests failed). But I had problems to install Axiom in a place different from the default place (/usr/local/axiom). There is a confusing readme, which mentions the make variables INSTALL and COMMAND to be used for this purpose. But this doesn't work. A look into Makefile led me to DESTDIR, which did work.

I think, the readme should be updated in order to avoid confusion. It should also be clarified whether DESTDIR=/some/dir has to be specified for the whole build process or only for the final installation step (make DESTDIR=/some/dir install).

Best Regards,

HANS-GEORG PABST
Application Manager
CSC

Global Outsourcing Services | mobile: +41.79.309.0547 | office: +41.58.200.8236 | address@hidden | www.csc.com

CSC • This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in delivery.  NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose • CSC Switzerland GmbH • Registered Office: Grossmattstrasse 9, 8902 Urdorf, Switzerland • Registered in Switzerland No: CH-660-0861997-8