Re: [Fwd: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom on Slackware]

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom on Slackware]
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 20:18:37 -0500

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 8:43 PM, root <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Actually, a patch for this problem was posted a year ago (and even long
>> before
>> counting the build-improvements branch).  I was (mistakenly) under the
>> impression it was applied:
>>
>> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2008-05/msg00000.html
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 01:39:45AM +0400, Igor Pashev wrote:
>> >  # Loader flags
>> > -LDF=" -L/usr/X11R6/lib ${XLIB}/libXpm.a "
>> > +LDF=" -L/usr/X11R6/lib ${XLIB}/libXpm.so "
>>
>> LDF should likely be set as in the link above so that either the static or
>> dynamic lib can be used (preference to shared libs IIRC):
>>
>>    LDF=" -L${XLIB} -lXpm"
>>

> Steven, Igor,
>
> I MAY BE WRONG, but as I recall, when I applied that patch it failed
> to build on several systems.
>
> Did either of you test it? How? On what system does it work?

As Stephen mentioned, a patch was applied to
build-improvements -- picked up by both OpenAxiom
and FriCAS.  And as far as I can tell, it works on the many
platforms those systems build.  Solution?  Don't hardcode
XLIB.  Get it deduced for you for free by tools that are
specifically designed to solve that kind of problem.
Stephen';s suggestion is correct for 99.9% of the platforms.

-- Gaby