[Axiom-developer] Intell SCC chip, Clojure, and Provisos

From: Tim Daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Intell SCC chip, Clojure, and Provisos
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 21:54:56 -0500

Rich,

I've been looking at the newly-announced Intel SCC chip.
It looks like 48 processors with local cache connected
by 24 routers.

It seems feasible to me to put a Clojure on each node
and have them share a heap image. The cache is likely
large enough to contain the kernel of the clojure code
(they plan to run 48 linux images).

One question that I'd have is whether there is a way to
present a single-image REPL that can use this chip. I'd
like to experiment with parallel symbolic computing in
Axiom and the combination of Clojure and the SCC seems ideal.

Can multiple Clojures share a heap?

I'd like to be able to dynamically fork tasks to different
lisp images that worked on the same heap. For example, I'd
like to be able to compute f(x) in two ways with different
assumptions as in:
  f(x) x>0
  f(x) x<=0
and the combine the result into a single solution. Computing
under assumptions (provisos) is an ideal mechanism for doing
parallel symbolic computations.

Tim Daly