[Axiom-developer] compiling from source on Debian Lenny

From: Alan Hutchinson
Subject: [Axiom-developer] compiling from source on Debian Lenny
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 19:34:05 +0000

Hello
Thanks again for Axiom.
I am trying to compile it from the file "axiom-sept2010-src.tgz".
I have tried to follow all the instructions in
  http://axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/download.html
and I think I have got them all right.
As before, the regression tests report just a few errors.

The only deviations I have consciously made from the compilation instructions are additions of two bash scripts called
  notdir
  shell
in
  /usr/local/bin
They are called early in the main Makefile.  It seems that Debian Lenny does not have these programs.
The scripts may not work as intended on all inputs, but they seem adequate for this job.

The result seems to be a working program.  When it starts, it announces
                        AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                       Version: Axiom (November 2010)
              Timestamp: Tuesday January 11, 2011 at 14:54:35
even though the source was dated "sept2010".  This may be because I downloaded
  //axiom.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/axiom/axiom
as advised in the download web page
  http://axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/download.html

Two questions and guesses:

1  Have I got a "GOLD" version of Axiom, or is this a "SILVER" version with unstable updates added from the git repository?

2  The tests I have noticed which fail are regression tests.  I have not noticed the make system run any other kinds of tests.
   Are they appropriate?  Should I be running a different test suite?
   If so, what shell variable should be set before starting "make", and to what value?

Best wishes
Alan H.