[Axiom-developer] Axiom docker image -- running hyperdoc

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Axiom docker image -- running hyperdoc
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 17:06:14 -0600

For the brave of heart ...

It is possible to run hyperdoc on your local X server from the docker
image. There are two issues. One is a missing package which I will add
and the other is that the docker image does not know the local IP
address. Both of these can be fixed from the command line with:

docker run -i -t daly/axiom bash -c "( apt-get install -y libxpm-dev ; export
DISPLAY=192.168.1.228:0.0 ; export AXIOM=/usr/local/axiom/mnt/ubuntu ; export
PATH=/usr/local/axiom/mnt/ubuntu/bin:$PATH ; exec
/usr/local/axiom/mnt/ubuntu/bin/sman -clef -ht -ws
/usr/local/axiom/mnt/ubuntu/bin/AXIOMsys )"

Just to be clear, the command line options are
 1) fix the missing package
      apt-get install -y libxpm-dev
 2) tell X what your IP address is (your IP will differ...)
      export DISPLAY=192.168.1.228:0.0
 3) export the AXIOM shell variable
      export AXIOM=/usr/local/axiom/mnt/ubuntu
 4) update the PATH shell variable
      export PATH=/usr/local/axiom/mnt/ubuntu/bin:$PATH
 5) execute AXIOM with Hyperdoc and Clef enabled
      exec /usr/local/axiom/mnt/ubuntu/bin/sman -clef -ht
                 -ws /usr/local/axiom/mnt/ubuntu/bin/AXIOMsys

Graphics should also work but it needs GCC installed.
That will be fixed also.

On Windows there is an X server called Xming
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming
which will allow Windows users to have Hyperdoc and Graphics.

Now that I've beaten this problem into submission I'll figure out
how to pass a command-line variable to a docker container and
automate this process. I will push a new docker image with all
of the extensions.