[Axiom-developer] How to code an assumption in axiom

From: Brent W. Baccala
Subject: [Axiom-developer] How to code an assumption in axiom
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 00:13:52 -0800

Hi -

How can I code an assumption in axiom?

In my case, I'm analyzing a polynomial differential equation.  I want to compute the order of a polynomial at a factor, which is the power of the factor that appears in the polynomial.

For example, consider D(f,x), where f is some unspecified polynomial.  I want to write a function "ord" and compute ord(D(f,x), ifac), where ifac is some unspecified irreducible factor.  I can't do this calculation with the information given.  However, if I assert that ord(f, ifac) > 0, then ord(D(f,x), ifac) = ord(f, ifac) - 1.

In other words, differentiation causes the order of an irreducible factor to drop by one, but only if the factor was actually present in the original polynomial.

Any suggestions how to write this in axiom?

    agape
    brent