Re: [Axiom-developer] [EXTERNAL] Re: Axiom's Sane redesign musings

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] [EXTERNAL] Re: Axiom's Sane redesign musings
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 09:44:46 -0400

Another thought....

There has been a "step change" in computer science in the last few years.

Guy Steele did a survey of the use of logic notation in conference papers.
More than 50% of the papers in some conferences use logic notation
(from one of the many logics).

CMU teaches their CS courses all based on and requiring the use of
logic and the associated notation. My college mathematics covered
the use of truth tables. The graduate course covered the use of
Karnaugh maps.

Reading current papers, I have found several papers with multiple
pages containing nothing but "judgements", pages of greek notation.
If you think Axiom's learning curve is steep, you should look at
Homotopy Type Theory (HoTT).

I taught a compiler course at Vassar in the previous century but
the Dragon book didn't cover CIC in any detail and I would not
have understood it if it did.

The original Axiom software predates most of the published logic
papers, at least as they applied to software. Haskell Curry wrote
from the logic side in 1934 and William Howard published in 1969
but I only heard of the Curry-Howard correspondence in 1998.

Writing a compiler these days requires the use of this approach.
In all, that's a good thing as it makes it clear how to handle types
and how to construct software that is marginally more correct.

The new Sane compiler is building on these logic foundations,
based on the Calculus of Inductive Construction and Dependent
Type theory. The compiler itself is strongly typed as is the
language it supports.

Since dependent types are not decidable there will always be
heuristics at runtime to try to disambiguate types, only now we
will have to write the code in greek :-)

Tim