Re: Andrej Bauer gave an extraordinarilly clear talk

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: Andrej Bauer gave an extraordinarilly clear talk
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 21:31:24 -0400

I gave some thought to the question of generating code
from a LEAN proof. The same idea occurs in FPGA work.

Assume that LEAN generated code for the GCD.
Assume it outputs the code and its associated proof.
The proof also has the associated axioms and definitions.

It should now be possible to hand modify the code to
optimize it yet still maintain a valid proof state.

The same situation occurs at the Verilog language layer
for FPGAs. The Verilog language is compiled into a
circuit implementation.

Often the circuit implementation can be hand optimized.
For example, the hardware might have a DSP (Digital
Signal Processor, aka a fast arithmetic unit) built into the
chip. The "verilog code generator" might not know about
this circuit so the designer can hand modify the generated
circuit to use the DSP.

The circuit is simulated before and after the change. Signals
from each are compared to see that they generate the same
sequence of states, showing the equivalence.

This raises two interesting thoughts about LEAN code generation.

Thought 1: The proof code generation ought to create a state
machine model of code, either Mealy or Moore machines. That
allows clearly identifiable "states". So LEAN code would target
a specific code execution model rather than a general purpose
free-form non-model.

Thought 2: Given a "LEAN code generated state machine" target,
it would be possible to create "hand optimizations" to the code.
These hand optimizations could be proven correct at the LEAN
language level. These optimization proofs could then be added
to the generated pile, creating both new code and a new proof.
The new optimized proof essentially uses the original proof as
an axiom.

This creates a "stepping stone" to LEAN proof generation. Early
proofs using a dirt-simple state machine model would generate
proven correct code. An interactive "proof optimizer" could have
a suite of proven transformations available for hand optimization.

Example transformations might be "unwind a recursion into a loop",
"unroll a loop one state at a time", "combine multiple states into a
single state", etc.

Can LEAN decide if a recursive proof is equivalent to a looped proof?
It seems it could because both proofs would be able to calculate
equivalent results as long as the "states in the proof" use finite
descending sequences.

Can LEAN prove that the recursive state machine and the unrolled
loop state machine are equivalent? That is, can "optimization" code
transformations be proven correct? Again, I claim it should be
possible, given a state machine target model for generated code.

I think Bob Harper had a NuPRL-like effort at some point. I vaguely
remember mention of an effort at code generation. That was long
ago so my memory is likely faulty and I don't remember the name
of his effort.

Anyway, LEAN code generation is an important step in the
Axiom SANE research. If you know of any research in the community
please let me know.

Tim