Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.3.0 release candidate 4 available

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [ANN] CHICKEN 5.3.0 release candidate 4 available
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 23:01:36 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 11:50:41 +0200 Peter Bex <peter@more-magic.net> wrote:

> The fourth release candidate for CHICKEN 5.3.0 is now available for
> download:
>
>   https://code.call-cc.org/dev-snapshots/2021/10/06/chicken-5.3.0rc4.tar.gz
>
> The sha256sum of that tarball is:
>
>   ba8da800e708c423c0e6e812fa2a93b947c731e52d115988b0c0f84406040e14
>
> The list of changes since 5.2.0 and 5.3.0rc4 is available here:
>
>   https://code.call-cc.org/dev-snapshots/2021/10/06/NEWS
>
> This release candidate fixes a regression that happened somewhere
> between 5.2.0 and 5.3.0 which meant static linking was broken for
> programs that used certain builtin modules (#1788).
>
> It also introduces a safety check in the setters for current-user-id,
> current-effective-user-id and current-group-id to ensure that only
> fixnums are passed in (#1787).
>
> Please give this new release candidate a try and report your findings
> to the mailing list.  Here's a suggested test procedure:
>
>   $ make PREFIX=<directory> install check
>   $ <directory>/bin/chicken-install pastiche

Thanks for the new rc, Peter.

Unfortunately we've found some issues while giving it a try some hours
ago (we had some discussions on IRC):

* chicken.foreign leaks into .link files.  This can be fixed with [0],
  by Felix.  I suppose Felix is going to submit a patch to
  chicken-hackers.

* chicken.csi leaks into .link files.  This issue is actually present in
  the current stable release (5.2.0), but nobody had noticed it.

[0]
http://paste.call-cc.org/paste?id=d3ce820bd46cc8d8e7cb2b4605c01ccbd8c704ba#a1

All the best.
Mario