classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] ANT and JUNIT issues (automake???)

From: David Brownell
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] ANT and JUNIT issues (automake???)
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 10:31:10 -0800

>     Shared libraries (for gcj), automake does all the work with only
>     3 lines of input.

I'd be interested in seeing ClasspathX adopt automake (what
version though??) if it it solves those problems.  So I'd be interested
in seeing your gnu.crypto autoconf/automake files.  I'd rather not
reinvent all that stuff for gnujaxp, and I really want to get that
compiling again with GCJ.

My current attempts to make GCJ do that are tripping over bugs
that seem to be related to using the "@filelist" syntax there.

> - The current Makefile.in does a bulk compilation of all the source
>   files. I don't know about that approach outside of traditional (.class)
>   compilers. Using gcj, I am not sure you can compile all sources in a
>   single (.o) file. In any case that does not look right. Typically
>   you'd like one object per package. Also automake generates the classic
>   one java file --> one object type of compilation that is not optimum
>   either.

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean "one object per package".  I know
there was a "one shared library per package" proposal in GCJ-land
a while back, also a "jarfile-to-SharedLibrary" mode in GCJ which is
a rather different model.

Could you elaborate?

- Dave