classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] javax.comm

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] javax.comm
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:10:42 +0100

Hi Nic,

Nic Ferrier wrote:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D8yvind?= Harboe <address@hidden> writes:

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 15:23, Dalibor Topic wrote:

Øyvind Harboe wrote:

Is any work being done on adding javax.comm to GNU Classpathx?

For now I'm using a commercial javax.comm library, but for debugging
purposes it would have been nice to have the source :-)

I've yet to try this library.

http://www.rxtx.org

I wanted to pull that one into kaffe, but had to stop due to doing too many things simultaneously, i.e. time constraints ;)

I'm a GCJ user myself, but as far as I have understood, Kaffe uses GNU
Classpath and Classpathx. Hence, if rxtx.org's stuff goes into GNU
Classpathx, both GCJ and Kaffe would benefit.

I'd be happy for rxtx to find a home here as long as it can be
licenced GPL+exception.

Has anyone approached the project leader?

Not on relicensing it and contributing it to the FSF, as we don't need that for kaffe. Kaffe is not a FSF project, and doesn't require copyright assignment. It just needs the code to be licensed in a GPL compatible manner.

Here's how I see kaffe's role: it can be used a simple (as in no buerocratical overhead) vehicle to try free implementations out, smooth the edges, and then merge them into Classpath/ClasspathX, which is what we are doing with GNU regex, for example, as long as the copyright assignment issues for that code to go into GNU Classpath aren't finished ;)

But of course, I would most heartily support an effort to adopt rxtx into the huge GNU java family for everyone's mutula benefit, as that would reduce my own workload with a potential merge ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic