classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] NNTP provider supports SSL?

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] NNTP provider supports SSL?
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 18:14:07 +0100

Lee Yeow Leong wrote:
I would need some help in getting the NNTP provider to connect to a news server which requires SSL connection. I wrote the following

Properties props = new Properties();
props.put("mail.nntp.host", "<news server>:563");
props.put("mail.nntp.user", "<id>@<news server>");
Session session = Session.getDefaultInstance(props);
session.setDebug(true);
URLName url = new URLName("nntp://<news server>:563");
Store store = session.getStore(url);

I'm using JDK1.4(which presumely comes with SSL support).

The NNTP provider doesn't support SSL, nor does the NNTP specification provide for SSL as a transport layer. It would be trivial to rewrite the NNTP provider to use SSL, however: see the code that instantiates secure sockets in the IMAP and POP3 providers, for instance.
--
Chris Burdess