classpathx-xml

Re: [Classpathx-xml] Strange exception when running checkstyle

From: David Brownell
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-xml] Strange exception when running checkstyle
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:56:00 -0800

On Thursday 30 December 2004 8:17 am, Chris Burdess wrote:
> David Brownell wrote:

> > I think the two bugs in that puppycrawl code should get
> > fixed.  Then there will be no problems at all.
> >
> >  -  It's completely bogus to turn arbitrary warnings
> >     into fatal errors as a default policy.
> >
> >  -  And it's equally bogus to call an XML parser with
> >     borked inputs, expecting it guess correctly about
> >     the base URI to use when resolving.
>
> Elsewhere in the GNU JAXP code, when we're given a relative URI in the
> absence of any other context, we assume it's a file URL relative to the
> current directory.

If so, that's "new"; the original code was pretty consistent
about treating that as an error.

> I believe that other JAXP implementations also make
> this assumption.

So what do they do in execution contexts like an applet
or other code without access to such a current filesystem
directory to use?  Even if there _is_ such a directory,
it might not be the right context.

It's a lot easier to track down bugs when software isn't
in the business of guessing.  If I were still maintaining
that software, I wouldn't merge a patch like that.

- Dave