Extend cat to have headers like head/tail

From: Eric Lavarde
Subject: Extend cat to have headers like head/tail
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 09:18:27 +0200

Hi,

to check multiple files I often tend to use 'cat *somefiles*' but it's all concatenated and difficult to read, so I switch back to 'head -nSOMETHINGBIG *somefiles*' but it's not optimal and I might miss lines if a file is bigger than expected.

Would it be possible to add an option '--header' to cat so that it separates multiple files with headers containing filenames, exactly like head and tail do? It wouldn't be the behavior by default obviously so that it wouldn't break anything.

Thanks, Eric