Re: Adding "progress bar" feature to "cp" and "mv" commands

From: Lokesh Walase
Subject: Re: Adding "progress bar" feature to "cp" and "mv" commands
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 15:02:03 +0530

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 11:28 PM, Bob Proulx <address@hidden> wrote:
Henrik Juul Pedersen wrote:
> Lokesh Walase wrote:
> > I am interested in adding "progress bar" feature to "cp" and "mv" commands.
> > For this I downloaded the latest source code GNU-coreutils-8.21.
>
> A progress bar is somewhat intrusive to the copy command, but patches and
> tools exist already.

Adding this just so this thread contains a reference to rsync which
never turned away an option and already implements this. :-)

  $ rsync --help | grep progress
       --progress              show progress during transfer
   -P                          same as --partial --progress

Rsync is already readily available.  As well as being a very good tool
in general.

Hi Bob,
one thing that "rsync" lacks but "cp" has is "interactive" copying ( -i option ).
And this is a good reason to not use "rsync" but "cp".

Bob

--
Lokesh Walase