cybop-developers

Re: [cybop-developers] Source Code Formatting / Style Guide

From: Christian Heller
Subject: Re: [cybop-developers] Source Code Formatting / Style Guide
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 15:20:51 +0100

Hi Enrico,

> It was too tempting, we talked about code styling checks some time ago and to
> include it into the build process.
> I did some research and found two really helpful tools (cppcheck and
> clang-format). Both are optional, it is not needed to execute it or to
> install and i haven’t configured it for the project yet.
> You COULD use clang-format (https://clang.llvm.org/docs/ClangFormat.html) in
> the future to force a specific indent or to force sorted includes and so on.
> You COULD use cppcheck (http://cppcheck.sourceforge.net) to detect bugs
> compilers can’t. Memory leaks and so on.

well, you see, I have no objections against using a "beautifier" tool.
Only that I personally don't need it. I type everything manually, each
character and space carefully and am a little bit pedantic about order.

But I understand that other developers are used to having an automatic
formatting -- so why not, if it follows the CYBOI style guide.

Please feel free to use any tool you like and integrate it into your IDE
or use it as standalone tool. However, I will not invest time into the
concrete tools, since each developer has other preferences.

But if you like, we may save the corresponding scripts in e.g.:
cybop/ide/clang/
cybop/ide/cppcheck/
(or similar)

What I CAN provide is a style guide. In fact, there already was one:
cybop/doc/development/conventions/index.html
I've just updated it now.

Christian