Re: [directory-discuss] Free Software Directory Database

From: Donald Robertson
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Free Software Directory Database
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 17:30:10 -0400

On 04/16/2017 05:05 AM, Laura Morales wrote:
>> It dumps only semantic data, not the page contents itself.  I believe your
>> original request was for page content.
>
> This does not seem to be true. Compare this page at the FSD
> https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/8sync with its RDF export
> https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Special:ExportRDF/8sync everything is there.
> Look for these XML tags: rdfs:label, property:Short_description,
> property:Full_description, property:VCS_checkout_command, property:Interface,
> and so on...
>
> Since the FSD is using SemanticWiki, you should have a file called
> "dumpRDF.php" [1] to export all items as RDF/XML. Could somebody please setup
> a cron job to run this script "dumpRDF.php" every once in a while (like once
> a week or so) and automatically make the dump available for download
> somewhere?
> Not only would this be very handy, but people would also be more motivated to
> contribute to the directory if the data could actually be used outside of the
> directory itself.
>
> Thank you all for the great work on the directory.
>
> [1] https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:RDF_export#Exporting_all_data

 You can pull down the data with (wget
http://static.fsf.org/nosvn/directory/directory.xml). I'm told it has
the rdf info included in it. Just a word of warning that it is
(unsurprisingly) quite large and opening in a browser would likely crash
it. It is updated nightly.

--
Donald R. Robertson, III, J.D.
Licensing & Compliance Manager