Re: FSD as a Git repository

From: Bone Baboon
Subject: Re: FSD as a Git repository
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 13:19:51 -0400

Greg Farough writes:

> On Tue, Jul 13 2021, Greg Farough <gregf@fsf.org> wrote:

>>> The plain text files could be compiled to be served as HTML over
>>> HTTP but they could also be compiled so that they could be served over
>>> other protocols such as Gemini <https://gemini.circumlunar.space/> and
>>> Gopher <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_%28protocol%29>.  These two
>>> protocols avoid the JavaScript trap
>>> <https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html> and have free
>>> software implementations of servers and clients.
>>
>> I'm not sure about Gopher, but as far as I know, Gemini wouldn't work
>> for something like the Directory. The Gemini specification[1] only
>> allows for a single text input form on a page, which is then sent back
>> to the server in the form of a query. That's not really ideal for a
>> submission as detailed as a Directory entry, and which has multiple
>> input fields. But don't get me wrong; I love Gemini.
>
> Quick clarification: I was talking about submissions via Gemini in
> this paragraph. Just serving / displaying the entry over Gemini
> wouldn't be very difficult, but there are public proxy servers people
> can use for that.
>
> -g

I would like to provide some clarification.

In this FSD as a Git repository concept changes to the directory would
be made locally to the cloned repository. Then changes would be
submitted as patches for inclusion into the FSD.

The source code of the repository could then be compiled into read only
formats that could be served over HTTP/HTTPS, Gemini and Gopher so the
content could be browsed.