Re: Adding firmware to FSD

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: Adding firmware to FSD
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 16:54:28 +0200

On 2021-10-09 14:03, Yuchen Pei wrote:

David Hedlund <public@beloved.name> writes:

On 2021-10-01 20:09, Craig Topham wrote:

On 9/24/21 3:51 AM, Yuchen Pei wrote:
Hi,

Does it make sense to start a collection on free firmware? One can
start by adding items appearing on say
<https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware/Open> to the directory.

If we add some info of firmware for hardware entries on h-node.org,
then the two wikis can link to each other: hardware entries on h-node
can link to firmware entries on FSD and vice versa. :)

What do you think?

I think this is a good idea. Having the two wikis interlinked will bring
more attention to both. I am not sure a new collection is necessary (at
this time). After looking at the current Collections, it seems we need
to do a little house cleaning (and hone the purpose of collections)
before we create more. If a specific h-node hardware runs on a free
firmware, then that firmware should be vetted, added to the FSD, and
linked from h-node with a link (in the description?) to h-node from the
FSD entry. Example: <https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Das_U-Boot>

Thoughts?

~Craig

To H-node:

"free driver used:*ath9k_htc*" -
https://h-node.org/wifi/view/en/357/Atheros-Communications-Inc--AR9271-802-11n

Could state this in addition: "Depends on non-Linux driver/firmware:
[https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/firmware-ath9k-htc ]

[https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/firmware-ath9k-htc firmware-ath9k-htc] or

[https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/firmware-atheros firmware-atheros]

I forgot to add the link text, sorry.

Thanks for the links.  Shouldn't we use the "open-ath9k-htc-firmware" name for the fsd firmware entry since that is the name of the project appearing on its repo <https://github.com/qca/open-ath9k-htc-firmware>?

It seems that there are two packages available for the ath9k_htc is a Linux kernel driver (I linked to both above): "Firmware is required, which can be provided by installing the firmware-atheros package. Open firmware for this driver is also available in the firmware-ath9k-htc package starting from Buster. " - https://wiki.debian.org/ath9k_htc

https://packages.debian.org/source/stable/open-ath9k-htc-firmware is the source package used to build https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/firmware-ath9k-htc