Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Angle manipulation & other concerns

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Angle manipulation & other concerns
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:15:42 -0800

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 10:09:58PM +0100, Martin Dvh wrote:
> Eric Blossom wrote:

> > FYI, you don't need the dummy block.

> Is this allways the case?

Except for blocks with an internal delay.  E.g., filters.

> I always assumed there could be an arbitrary delay for every
> processing blocks because there are allways buffers in between.

No.  The buffers behave as fifos, and as along as the down stream
block is consuming from its inputs at the same rate, everything will
work out.  This is the usual case, as exemplified by the multiplier in
the example you provided for JC.

> Or is it only the delay inside the block that counts (so only
> fir-like blocks have a delay)

Yes, that is correct.  It's the delay inside the blocks that matters,
and most blocks have zero delay.

Eric