Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Filterbank stuff

From: Bob McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Filterbank stuff
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 19:30:23 -0500

Marcus D. Leech wrote:
I'm toying with some insane ideas for EME (Moonbounce) for a friend of mine.

I'm toying with taking a modulated baseband from a QAM16 modulator, and
replicating it across several spectral pickets
  over a wide band, then on reception doing "something" with these
redundant copies to improve SNR/BER.

I'm currently thinking Analysis Filterbank/Synthesis Filterbank to take
the baseband signals, and spread them across
  a wider spectrum, with replication.

Ignoring whether this approach is sane or not is the filterbank the
right block to use to take multiple narrow baseband signals and
  "map" them onto a wider baseband?

PLEASE do yourself a favor and look at WSJT by Joe Taylor. This guy has years and years and years of experience doing this. He has studied the problem absolutely to the n-th degree. His system is really beautifully done. And, you know he isn't a nut case because he won the Nobel prize for physics proving observational evidence for General Relativity by discovering and observing certain types of radio emission pulsars. The only thing that has ever caused me to doubt his sanity was his taking the job of Dean of Faculty at Princeton for seven years!

http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/

Bob

--
(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio Member: ARRL, AMSAT, AMSAT-DL, TAPR, Packrats,
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.