[Discuss-gnuradio] usrp_wxapt_rcv.py

From: Patrik Tast
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp_wxapt_rcv.py
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 22:07:21 +0200

Hi All,

My name is Patrik Tast from Vasa, Finland.

I this week received the Ettus USRP with daughterboards BasicRX and 800-2400 MHz RX from CA, US.
I fired it up today to test the BasicRX side using the usrp_wfm_*.py and nbfm and everything works as expected. I am able to hear what ever FM channels with great quality.

Since I am a wxapt guy, http://www.poes-weather.com/, the usrp_wxapt_rcv.py was my next test in the examples directory.

NOAA 17 @ 137.62 MHz was here just (usrp_wxapt_rcv.py -f 137.62e6 -V 0) and all I could hear was German radio comming through. Extremly faintly, I could hear the TICK-TOCK sound in the background (I also could have been imagining, it was so unclear) and (just) some change in the graph while the satellite was over me (45 degrees).

When I changed to the R2FX-receiver (dedicated APT-receiver) the signal is there http://www.df2fq.de/english_version/r2fx_eng.html

I could not find an author to the usrp_wxapt_rcv.py nor could I find a GRC block diagram for it.
I can see that the author is aiming for 32 kHz bandwith but I suspect there is something missing?

I'm using Fedora 9 and GnuRadio 3.1.3 (latest stable release, not from svn)

Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
Patrik