Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Where is GR installed in Ubuntu?

From: davek
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Where is GR installed in Ubuntu?
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 00:05:50 -0400

fyi you could also do a
dpkg -L gnuradio
to find every file a package provides

dave

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 6:54 PM, William L. Bahn <address@hidden> wrote:
Do be so sure that someone that has virtually no experience with Linux and, more specifically, less than a couple of hours experience with Ubuntu, knows what "less" is.

I downloaded the findutils tar.gz file and extracted it. While trying to run ./configure it gave an error that the C compiler cannot create executables. I've looked over the log file and I'm not sure, but I think that either gcc isn't installed of else it can't find it.

Is there really no one in the entire Gnu Radio community that has any idea where apt-get tries to put the gnuradio and usrp trees in Ubuntu 8.04?

How on earth is anyone supposed to get started when, as near as I can tell, no place on the Wiki tells someone what to do after adding their username to the usrp group?

You had asked for the relevant lines from the source.list file. Here are the lines I added:

deb http://gnuradio.org/ubuntu stable main contrib
deb-src http://gnuradio.org/ubuntu stable main

I had thought the fact that this is causing apt-get to go looking in directories that don't exist on the gnuradio.org site would spark a little bit of interest, but apparently not.

David Tisza wrote:
Hello,
William L. Bahn írta:
Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Below is an exchange with David that may give a clue for someone else.

Thanks.

David Tisza wrote:
William L. Bahn írta:
When I try the following, I get that neither command is found.

$> sudo updatedb
$> locate gnuradio | less

what do you mean they're not found?
This is what happens:

address@hidden:/$ sudo updatedb
[sudo] password for wbahn:
sudo: updatedb: command not found
address@hidden:/$ locate gnuradio | less

I get a cleared screen with (END) in the upper left corner and I can't scroll at all. After hitting 'q' I'm back to the above with the next line being:

bash: locate: command not found
As I said in my original message:
if they are not installed to your system, I mean locate, then try running the synaptic package manager and find the package locate
(more info: http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/findutils/ )
This happens because neither the locate nor the updatedb command is not installed to your system (they are in one package)
The "locate" is not connected to gnuradio at all, but rather a useful tool in linux systems. If you read the link above, and I'm sure you did, it is clear to you that the "updatedb" makes a hash database of your files in your system where are they etc, and the command "locate" uses the database made by the "updatedb" to find patterns in filenames. So the command
"$> sudo updatedb" creates or refreshes the database (you need to run it with admin privileges)
and the command "$>locate gnuradio" finds all filenames which contains the term gnuradio.
I'm pretty sure that you know what a pipe is and the "cleared screen with (END) in the upper left corner" is made by the program less, because it did not receive anything from the command "locate gnuradio" so it displays an empty string.

So this suggestion was just only to help you find your gnuradio files on your system, it is not connected to gnuradio by any means.
Here's some more information that might help someone help me:

First, the O/S is Ubuntu 8.04

When I run

$ sudo apt-get update

I get the following errors:

W: Failed to fetch http://gnuradio.org/ubuntu/dists/stable/main/binary-lpia/Packages.gz

when I try to load this url from a browser, it sais to me that it don't exist.
the closest path which exist is http://gnuradio.org/ubuntu/dists/stable/main/
but it has only 3 directories as you say further down.
[DIR]     binary-amd64/ <http://gnuradio.org/ubuntu/dists/stable/main/binary-amd64/> 23-Aug-2008 21:17     -
[DIR]     binary-i386/ <http://gnuradio.org/ubuntu/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/>     23-Aug-2008 21:14     -
[DIR]     source/ <http://gnuradio.org/ubuntu/dists/stable/main/source/> 23-Aug-2008 21:17     -

404 Not Found
W: Failed to fetch http://gnuradio.org/ubuntu/dists/stable/contrib/binary-lpia/Packages.gz  404 Not Found

When I explore the url paths manually, I see that the directories underneath

could you send the relevant lines from  /etc/apt/sources.list
maybe you are using a wrong or obsolate address there.