[Discuss-gnuradio] Problem establishing connection with USRP

From: William L. Bahn
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem establishing connection with USRP
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 00:27:54 -0600

I'm trying to talk to a USRP using the vanilla install of the binaries for Ubuntu.

I am simply trying to run usrp_fft.py to verify that the basic system is working.

I have a machine with FC7 on it that talks to the USRP just fine. When I try to run the FFT program on the Ubunto machine I get a long output stream the gist of which seems to be that it is having problems with the USB.

The first few lines of the output are:

usrp_open_interface:usb_claim_interface: failed interface 0
could not claim interface 0: Operation not permitted
open_nth_cmd_interface: open_cmd_interface fo;ed
usrp: failed to load firmware /usr/share/usrp/rev4/std.ihx

It then proceeds with a long Traceback, which I can provide if someone would like.

The "Operation not permitted" makes me wonder if it's a permissions issue. I ran the program using sudo and it still failed, but with a different error message. This time the only thing it said prior to the Traceback is:

Can't find fpga bitstream: std_2rxhb_2tx.rbf

I don;t know what the sequence of events is, but this makes me think that running as sudo solved the USB problem. Anyone have any other ideas?

Any suggestions as to how I can get it to find the bitstream file?

FYI: This is on a Dell netbook (Inspiron 910) and apparently you can't actually log in as root.

Thanks