Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] half USRP

From: Jason Uher
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] half USRP
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:51:19 -0500

>> have you ever think about a simplified USRP, or 1/2 USRP, having only 1 side
>> TX and RX?

> How about a 64 x USRP? It would be cool if there was a USRP that had
> many receiver channels, and it would also have a simple beam-former
> built into the FPGA.

All of the schematics for the USRP and daughter boards are available
in the usrp-hw branch
(http://www.gnuradio.org/trac/browser/usrp-hw/trunk).

You are free to build a 1/2 USRP, just remove the components you don't
need, or, if you wish, put a 1/2 USRP and a dedicated daughter board
on the same PCB, it's up to you.

The problem with asking matt or one of the other gnuradio contributors
to do this is that it's not as simple as it sounds on the surface:

 You would need to remove the extraneous components on the USRP
boards, re-do the layout, then fab and test a new board.  Then you
also have to re-write the FGPA firmware and sink/source blocks in
gnuradio.  It's definitely do-able, but it's not a "while you're at
it" type of project.

There was a very recent discussion on the board regarding a 'hand
held' sized usrp where we discussed these same issues.

Jason