Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RTL2832 ($20 USB SDR) support now in gr-baz

From: Balint Seeber
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RTL2832 ($20 USB SDR) support now in gr-baz
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 21:49:22 +1000

Hi Patrik,

Firstly I should point out that the underlying I2C code has come from the
rtl-sdr tool: http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr

Which in turn (I believe) uses the tuner control source from the Linux
kernel RTL2832 V4L/USB DVB drivers. That source is also found at
https://github.com/mbarbon/rtl2832.git (works with 2.6) and
https://gitorious.org/rtl2832 (looks like 3.0, and potential IR support).

Unfortunately I understand the datasheets for both the demod and tuner chips
are under NDA, so we can only go on what is already out there. This is a
real shame, because I get the feeling there are some other mysteries in the
demod chip's signal chain that ought to be switched off to get the most out
of this as a cheap SDR receiver. All we can do at the moment is experiment
with the available source and see what happens...

If anyone else knows more, please spill the beans! :)

Kind regards,
Balint