Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR 3.5.1 & OSX

From: Steven
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR 3.5.1 & OSX
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 19:40:29 +0100

Third
downloaded the git version and after the usual steps with cmake, the
building crashes at the 3% with the error

cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mpopcnt"
make[2]: ***
[volk/lib/CMakeFiles/volk.dir/volk_machine_sse4_a_64.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [volk/lib/CMakeFiles/volk.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
No idea, but using CMake is the way to go to get Volk working. Could
be an OSX 10.7 issue; I'm still using 10.6 though I do do testing
using an OSX 10.7 boot disk. I haven't tried this in a while, so I'll
give it a whirl later today or tomorrow, as time allows.

Good luck! - MLD

ok i'll do other "experiments" and report news.....thx very much :D
downloaded the latest git version and made a little progress in the
third case. I set :
export CXX=clang++
export CC=clang

and the cmake building worked ! ! !. Now i have to set the python path correctly. GRC still doesn't run but the python interpreter import the gnuradio module correctly.
i removed the documentantion from building because it seems to stuck at
a certain point, and cpu(s) load is at full ! ! !
The py27-wxpython issue still remains, i'll post a ticket on macports

Regards, Arturo

I found that specifying CXX=clang and CC=clang actually breaks the volk tests so it will compile but doesn't actually work when you try and run anything.  Having them unset I'm having the same issue as Arturo at the 3% mark.

-- Performing Test have_maltivec
-- Performing Test have_maltivec - Failed
-- Performing Test have_mfpu=neon
-- Performing Test have_mfpu=neon - Failed
-- Performing Test have_mfloat-abi=softfp
-- Performing Test have_mfloat-abi=softfp - Failed
-- Performing Test have_funsafe-math-optimizations
-- Performing Test have_funsafe-math-optimizations - Failed
-- 32 overruled
-- Performing Test have_m64
-- Performing Test have_m64 - Failed
-- Performing Test have_m3dnow
-- Performing Test have_m3dnow - Failed
-- Performing Test have_msse4.2
-- Performing Test have_msse4.2 - Failed
-- Performing Test have_mpopcnt
-- Performing Test have_mpopcnt - Failed
-- Performing Test have_mmmx
-- Performing Test have_mmmx - Failed
-- Performing Test have_msse
-- Performing Test have_msse - Failed

$ head -n17 volk/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log
Performing C++ SOURCE FILE Test have_maltivec failed with the following output:
Change Dir: /usr/local/gnuradio/build/volk/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:/usr/bin/make "cmTryCompileExec/fast"
/usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build
/opt/local/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /usr/local/gnuradio/build/volk/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeFiles 1
Building CXX object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/src.cxx.o
/usr/bin/clang    -Dhave_maltivec   /usr/localmaltivec -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/src.cxx.o -c /usr/local/gnuradio/build/volk/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/src.cxx
clang: error: no such file or directory: '/usr/localmaltivec'
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/src.cxx.o] Error 1
make: *** [cmTryCompileExec/fast] Error 2

Source file was:
int main() { return 0;}
Performing C++ SOURCE FILE Test have_mfpu=neon failed with the following output:
Change Dir: /usr/local/gnuradio/build/volk/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp