Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Work around for gr.multiply_cc( ) for non NEON en

From: Nathan West
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Work around for gr.multiply_cc( ) for non NEON enabled ARM devices
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 12:07:53 -0600

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
> The Pi is having some problems running:
>
> sudo volk_profile
>

> It pegs out at 100% and I just cut it at 24 hours.  I am going to reboot and
> run it on terminal only with it overclocked for the weekend, but do you have
> any other suggestions?  I was really excited about Volk after reading up on
> it, but unfortunately it seems to be too much for the RPi.

I'm not sure if you've seen some of the RPi/gnuradio commentary, but
this is a good summary:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2013-01/msg00226.html

The first test that volk_profile runs
(volk_32fc_s32fc_x2_rotator_32fc_a) takes several minutes on my Core2
duo. I would also expect it to take a very long time on an RPi. That
said, the discussion previously linked would make me think that
running volk_profile on an RPi wouldn't actually do anything useful as
there's no SIMD architecture to take advantage of. Everything would be
set to generic after running for a long time which is the same result
as not running volk_profile at all (minus days of runtime).

If you want to test this you can remove that first test from
volk_profile and rebuild. The subsequent tests will probably take
about 10-20 minutes each but you might actually see some progress.

> Thanks
>

> karl
>
> A tangential comment here.  You never need to run ordinary commands as root.
> The only part of any source
>   code build that usually requires root privilege (via sudo) is the install
> phase, because that's moving generated
>   code into parts of the system that you, as an ordinary user, can't write
> to.
>
> But running your applications, building code, etc, *don't* require root
> privilege.
>

> --
> Principal Investigator
> Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium