Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] File Source/sink

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] File Source/sink
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:37:07 -0500

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Gonzalo Flores De La Parra <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi everyone
Quick question.. i know GRC can read any file extension i.e. *.txt, but how can i see the data i save on a file sink? to be clear let me try a quick test.. randomsource-->throttle-->filesink..
when i try to see the exit of the random source my gedit says thats it doesn't recognize the format..
thanks

--
Ing. Gonzalo Flores De La Parra
Electrónica en Comunicaciones

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/FAQ#What-is-the-file-format-of-a-gr_file_sink

Basically, you're writing a binary file, so a text reader won't know what to do with it (you could use emacs in hexl mode, though).

There are a handful of plotting tools in the current releases of GNU Radio that you can use, named gr_plot_xxx (where xxx = float, int, iq, const, etc.). These use scipy.fromfile to read in the binary data.

Tom