[Discuss-gnuradio] [ANNOUNCE] UmTRX sales start on the Hardware Freedom

From: Alexander Chemeris
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] [ANNOUNCE] UmTRX sales start on the Hardware Freedom Day
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 00:33:58 +0400

Dear all,

(I'm sorry for cross-posting to several mailing lists, but it really
belongs to all of them. Please respond only to a mailing list you're
subscribed to.)

UmTRX sales start
===============

It's the Hardware Freedom Day and we're starting sales of UmTRX to
celebrate it! Now you could order it directly from Fairwaves web-shop
[1],

UmTRX is a completely open-source hardware SDR transceiver designed
for professional/industrial applications. We designed it for use with
OpenBTS software [2], but it also works well with OsmoBTS/OpenBSC [3].

UmTRX uses a UHD [4] with only minor changes to interact with a host
and thus works well with GnuRadio and other applications based on UHD.

1. http://shop.fairwaves.ru/
2. https://code.google.com/p/umtrx/wiki/RunningOpenBTS
3. http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/OsmoBTS
4. https://github.com/fairwaves/UHD-Fairwaves

Technical details
==============

UmTRX is an SDR transceiver inspired by USRP N series. If you worked
with USRP N you will find it familiar, but there are significant
differences which are described below as well.

 * Single board with an integrated RF part.
 * Optimized for industrial use and high MTBF.
 * 1GbE Ethernet connectivity to a computer.
 * Two full-duplex RF channels (side "A" and "B" in UHD).
 * Single chip transceivers LMS6002D are used for AD/DA and RF
processing (300MHz to 3.8GHz)
 * Stable reference clocks:
   - 26MHz TCXO (integer multiple of GSM sample rate) with 100ppb
frequency stability.
   - DAC for TCXO frequency fine tuning.
   - Integrated GPS module for automatic TCXO frequency stabilization.
   - External clock source is possible.
 * Thermal sensors for temperature based calibration.
 * 100mW @ 900MHz, 50mW @ 1800MHz RF output power.
 * 8-28V DC input power supply.
 * Spartan 6 LX75 FPGA.

PS Big thank you to Lime Microsystems for their excellent support of
open-source users! Check out their chips if you're planning to develop
and SDR system.

GSM specific info
==============

UmTRX was designed to be easy to use to use with OpenBTS and OsmoBTS.
So far it's the easiest way to get them up and running in your lab.

 * Quad-band support without any changes
 * 100-200m coverage (with an external duplexer and a small omni antenna).
 * >2km coverage with an external 2W GSM repeater and a patch antenna
 * Two independent TRXs (*).
 * Single-ARFCN and Multi-ARFCN support.

(*) OpenBTS doesn't support the second channel on UmTRX yet. We're
working to implement this and plan to release this soon.

I also want to say thank you to our beta testers who received earlier
versions of UmTRX. Some of them even blogged about their experience :)
http://blog.shimaore.net/2013/03/umtrx.html
http://genesysguru.com/blog/blog/2013/03/23/umtrx-is-alive-again/

UmTRX package contents
========================

 * UmTRXv2.1, flashed and ready to use.
 * Power supply, 12V/30W - http://www.phihong.com/assets/pdf/PSAC30U.pdf
 * U.FL-to-SMA-F pigtail cables.
 * Two small GSM antennas - one for Tx and one for Rx.
 * An active GPS antenna.
 * Thermal pads.

Note 1: The power supply comes without a 220V power cord. Make sure to
prepare one before you receive the UmTRX to be able to power it on
immediately. ;)

Note 2: You'll need a heatsink or a fan to prevent UmTRX from
overheating during long continuous operation. We provide thermal pads,
but you have to find a heatsink by yourself. HDD heatsinks are good
options, because UmTRX has almost the same size as an HDD.

--
Regards,
Alexander Chemeris.