[Discuss-gnuradio] GPRS sniffing with GNURadio and USRPN210

From: Weiqing Li
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPRS sniffing with GNURadio and USRPN210
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 12:25:13 -0400

Dear list,

I am currently trying to make an GPRS sniffer. So far I have google around and the closest application I found was from Security Research Labs using osmocom-bb from https://srlabs.de/gprs/. Looking at the presentation in CCCamp 2011 (http://events.ccc.de/camp/2011/Fahrplan/attachments/1868_110810.SRLabs-Camp-GRPS_Intercept.pdf) it seems that the whole purpose of the osmocom-bb is to get the raw data, which is then sent to the decoding program and then to wireshark. Thus is it possible to use USRP and GNURadio to capture the raw signals instead of using osmocom-bb and Motorola phones? If it is possible can you let me know where and how should I approach this problem? Lastly, if you know a better approach to capturing the GPRS traffic please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Weiqing Li