Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fwd: Can open BTS run on RasPi?

From: Farhad Abdolian
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fwd: Can open BTS run on RasPi?
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:30:01 +0200

HI Andrew,
Thanks, I will ask the question on OpenBTS, I thought that OpenBTS was a layer on top of the GR, thanks for correcting me.

BR,
Farhad

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Andrew Back <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Farhad,

On 29 July 2013 13:04, Farhad Abdolian <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> I just watched a video on this link:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCcKgrzbix4#at=42
>
> They say they have ported OpenBTS and GR to RasPi and they could make phone
> calls between 2 mobile phones.
>
> Is that even possible?

I don't see why they would lie.

> Is RasPi strong enough for handling that kind of data?

It would seem that it is possible to make something work, but as far
as I'm aware it's not practical/useful, unless perhaps there were
OpenCL support for RasPi and you could rewrite parts of OpenBTS to
make use of the GPU.

In any case, the host is just a small part of the hardware costs and
it would be better to run OpenBTS on something more capable.

> I am very curious to hear your comments on this,

You are aware that OpenBTS and GNU Radio are different codebases? I'd
suggest posting questions such as this to the OpenBTS discuss list:

  http://sourceforge.net/p/openbts/mailman/

Cheers,

Andrew

--