Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Clipping?

From: Ian Buckley
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Clipping?
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 09:40:21 -0700

OK, good, I'd never noticed that on the price list!
So 30db is a good value to protect WBX from physical damage in a loopback configuration. It does however leave you with a potentially very high signal level at the RX and so it makes sense that your setup appears to be operating at the edge of linearity, despite the modest configured gains. My first guess, assuming that your TX is working as you believe is that your setup is subject to some additional environmental strong and intermittent RFI, though I concede in a cabled loopback setup that theory is harder to support. I've seen very similar FFT results when working weak signals without enough out of band filtering. Are you working near a RADAR? Laptop with WiFI right next to the USRP? Does a further reduction in gains solve your problem?
-Ian